Built in 1928, the Mediterranean Revival style Snell Arcade was commissioned by real estate investor C. Perry Snell, who developed many of the city’s residential neighborhoods. It was designed by architect Richard Kiehnel, who was an early aficionado of the Mediterranean Revival style in Florida. In addition to the terra cotta clad Snell Arcade, he designed masterpieces across the state including El Jardin and the Scottish Rite Temple in Miami, the Rolyat Hotel in Gulfport (now Stetson College of Law) and the Annie Russell Theatre in Winter Park. In 1982 the Snell Arcade is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and it was designated a Historic Landmark by the City of St. Petersburg in 1986.
SPS has undertaken several projects over the years at the Snell Arcade, including repointing, terra cotta restoration, roof and structural repairs and, now underway, the repair of the sidewalk vault lights.