Porcher House, Cocoa, Florida
The Porcher House was constructed in 1916 by Edward Porcher, who was known as the largest grove owner and a key innovator in the citrus industry. He was the first grower to wash, inspect, grade and stamp his fruit and invented machinery to improve the efficiency of citrus handling and packing. Porcher’s wife, Byrnina, designed the Neoclassical Revival house and they lived in it until after World War II. The City of Cocoa acquired the coquina house in the 1950s and it became City Hall. After construction of a larger City Hall, the house was vacant through most of the 1980s. The City restored the house, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. It is now an intimate event venue next to the Civic Center and Cocoa Riverfront Park.
In preparation for the 100th anniversary of the construction of the house, SPS completed the final phase of the renovation work by weatherizing the envelope. Work included pointing the joints between the coquina stones, restoring the original wood windows and caulking and painting the exterior.