The historic Nassau County Courthouse, in the heart of the city of Fernandina Beach, was built in 1891. The late Victorian era brick building has tall hooded windows, cast iron elements and a large classically inspired bell tower. The courthouse is in the City of Fernandina Beach’s locally designated Downtown Historic District and in the National Register Fernandina Beach Historic District, which was listed in 1973.
During a significant renovation of the courthouse in 2002, the original sashes were replaced with pine sashes glazed with distinctive restoration glass. The new sashes replicated the historic appearance, but the lumber was not suitable for the hot, humid climate. Many of the sashes rotted through and were leaking. SPS replicated the sashes using fungicide-treated cypress and used our years of painting expertise to apply a high performance paint system to ensure a long life. We were also able to track down the manufacturer of the restoration glass to maintain the building’s appearance. In addition, we were required to do the work after hours, which is a process we have perfected in the commercial painting and construction side of our business.