Custom House, Key West, Florida
The Custom House in Key West is probably the most significant Richardsonian Revival structure in Florida. Built in 1891 as the post office, Federal courthouse and customs office, it eventually transferred to the Navy and then sat vacant for nearly 20 years. The State of Florida purchased it in 1991 and it has been leased to the Key West Art and Historical Society.
We have been fortunate to work at the Custom House on two completely different types of projects. The first was a window restoration project where we restored the second story windows. The other project is all masonry—selectively re-pointing the structure, replicating terra cotta components, building new stone railings and repairing the massive columns at the front entrance.